Auditions & performance opportunities
We are aware that some casting websites and agencies, copy our casting calls out to their clients. That is absolutely fine, but please ensure that all relevant information (dates, locations, rehearsals, profit share, etc) are also shared and not altered. Our castings as laid out in this website section, are the correct official version, this is our official website. If you have questions, that are not answered here, please email us. Thank you.
This production company has signed up to the Protecting Actors Fringe Charter, helping to ensure all cast and crew involved operate under safe and fair working conditions. Protecting Actors : SHIELD:11581
Members rules of conduct
(Keeping things safe, pleasant and professional)
(When attending an audition please bring comfortable clothes, a pen, your diary, a comprehensive list of dates that you are not available for rehearsal or performing, and your completed audition form.)
We do not charge membership or audition fees. We do however operate with a strict system of performers contracts.
Mordred (feature film)
Three Musketeers (theatre)
What happens at our auditions:
Our auditions, unless otherwise stated in audition information, take the form of script readings in groups of auditionees, (scripts provided at audition), in front of a casting panel. If you are auditioning for a specific task such as a singing or dancing role, you will be asked to prepare something of a relevant genre, of your choice to show us at the audition.
Anyone under 16 must be accompanied by a parent.
You will be informed within a stated time, if you are successful.
It is only in very rare cases that we accept video auditions, and then only from people whom we already know are reliable. As a rule, we expect you to attend in person.
If you have questions, please get in touch via email email@example.com.
In your audition, we will look at several factors in deciding who gets the role. These include:
- Suitability for role and quality of audition given.
- Skills in clear speaking, expression, body language.
- Good social skills: how you seem to interact with others in the room.
- Pleasant, positive "can-do" attitude.
- Timekeeping (arriving on time, or communicating in advance if unavoidably delayed. We reserve the right to not audition latecomers.)
- Preparation (bringing audition forms, your pen and diary, etc)
We do take natural "audition nerves" into full account, but due to only casting for serious performers who, regardless of previous experience, share our career-based ethos, we look for a range of qualities required by anyone who seeks to be a serious performer.
THEATRE & FILM
The following session, for those selected as cast, will involve a mandatory getting-to-know session, for the team, along with workshops, getting measurements or any especial information relating to the roles, and stating what is expected. All cast and crew will be expected to sign contracts which will then be held by our secretary. A seated script read-through will also take place and you will have the opportunity to ask role or production questions.
Rehearsals will subsequently take place on Wednesday evenings and Sunday afternoons at Chestnut Community Centre, 1-3 Poplar Close, Brixham, Devon TQ5 0SA. You are expected to attend a minimum of 75% of rehearsals, and to inform the director at once if you find that you are unable to attend a rehearsal. No-showing more than once is likely to result in removal from the production, or in being cast in a smaller role.
Rehearsals and readings will take place prior to going on location, at a time and location agreed by the cast.
EXTRA TRAINING - SPECIAL SKILLS WORKSHOPS
All workshops are free for our cast members.
Please see our Training page for information on workshops. Some may be show-specific and only for cast members. Some may be open to the public, for a small fee (in which case pre-booking and payment is imperative).
This may seem very basic indeed but is being noted publicly after a couple of incidents over recent years:
If you are joining us as a performer, please be aware that you will be expected to read and learn your scripted scenes, by the deadlines given, attend rehearsals on time, and to keep detailed notes on your blocking (where you are stood on stage, on stage directions) penciled into your script. Joining us as a performer also requires that you have adequate literacy to do this.
You are not joining an amdram amatuer club, but a dynamic professional team of ambitious, hardworking, career-orientated people.
You will also be required to abide by the norms of socially acceptable behaviour towards other members and towards the public, failure to do so, is likely to result in instant dismissal.
Notes for all our auditions -
* New performers for our internal shows and films are always welcome regardless of experience. We require that you are reliable, serious, have good social skills, and that you are willing to get involved, and work towards a high quality production, respecting our ethos of safe environment, and of creating professional -grade productions.
* Unfortunately, we are not able to cater to "special needs" as that is not our remit, nor do our type of shows provide such facility, nor would someone with such requirements enjoy working with us. Anyone becoming involved needs to be able and willing to work alongside other high ability performers in ambitious, fast moving, professional-level roles. If you are looking for an alternative needs drama club with a more relaxed atmosphere, please contact Roc Creative in Paignton.
* Being involved with us allows you access to a lot of perks like: free photoshoots/ video clips/ references / access to castings for local films / professional studio-based actors headshots etc!
* Performers are expected to commit to attend rehearsals in Brixham (in Torbay, South Devon) once or twice a week, and therefore must live within easy travel distance for these. Main rehearsals take place on Wednesday evenings, and Sunday afternoons. What we expect from our actors.
* If you would like more information about who we are and what our ethos is, see the "about us" page.
*Feel free to pass on the casting calls from this page to anyone anywhere who may possibly be interested, but make sure ALL information (including audition details, our website, location etc) is included. Thank you!
*If you have a preference for a specific type of role (e.g: large, or small, or dramatic or quiet), do say! We cannot guarantee to be able to accommodate the preference (it also depends on the auditions and suitability for the role) but we try to bear it in mind.
*While our shows are suited to audiences of all ages, we usually require our performers to be aged 16+, simply because we are not a "youth" theatre group, and we sometimes perform in pub venues that may be age restricted. Anyone aged under 16 needs to be accompanied, at all times, by a parent or guardian of legal age.
Please note that if a show is not listed on our previous shows, current shows, or auditions page, (as relevant) then it is not a show or event connected with the South Devon Players in any way.Thank you.