Booking us for your event or fete
Our team can provide many different attractions for events, including small theatre shows, live music, historical action/combat shows, talks and workshops.
When booking us, please bear in mind that whatever is prepared for your event will be tailored for your event, which needs to be done around the team members day jobs, other shows and films, and other commitments (eg family). Therefore it is very important that you contact us at the earliest opportunity to discuss your requirements, and remain easily contactable as work progresses. You are booking a professional team who need to prepare carefully for you.
Contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org, via our facebook page, @sdevonplayers or telephone 07855 090589.
When we tailor an appearance for your event, we have to:
* rollcall our team and then;
* book / plan/ run rehearsals
* prepare scripts, costumes, choreography, technical support
* arrange travel to you
* prepare themed promotional graphics and cast images for your publicity
All of this takes time, so when you first contact us, we need you to provide the following information:
* Dates, times and what your event is.
* What type of performance/ support you require (including timeslots) Please be prepared to discuss if you are not sure.
* Details of payment or expenses
* How the event will be publicized
If you are requesting a show or performance involving combat, or a workshop, we will require confirmation that a physical safety barrier to be set up, for the safety of the public and the participants of the show/ workshop.
We will then rollcall the relevant members of our team, and confirm within a few days if we can assist you.
Please note that we reserve the right to cancel a booking, if:
* All details, including timeslots, work needed, remuneration, publicity, event access, technical facilities, etc are not verified with us at least one month in advance.
* We have not heard from you, or have had no reply to email / social media messages to you, for more than one week.
* If the performance/ talk/ workshop is not publicized in your promotional materials
* If you have requested a show or performance involving combat, stunts or weapons; or a workshop, and cannot guarantee a safety cordon.
* Our performers are expected to pay to enter the event.
If we cancel for any of the above reasons, you will be informed by email.
WHAT WE CAN PROVIDE
Main show excerpts. This depends on the current main production, and how far along rehearsals are (we will not book this if the actors are not yet off-book or fully costumed)
Sword Dancing. Laura, one of our founders, has a unique sword dancing act, which is ideal as part of a larger programme. This can be themed as medieval, Musketeers, pirate or fantasy.
Workshops (time can be tailored from half an hour to two hours)
Dueling A fun workshop, that children of all ages love, is formal dueling. Run with safe, foam but realistic looking swords, or cap-gun replicas of flintlocks, we show how to have a formal duel with your friend (or enemy), or one of us.
Historical combat The next stage up from the dueling, and more suited to teens and adults, we will run a short workshop in the basics of re-enactment-type combat, which is what we ourselves use for our theatre and film productions
Catwalk and modeling Open to people of all shapes and sizes, run by members of our team who are trained in catwalk modeling, this workshop demonstrates the basics of how to model on a catwalk, and look amazing!
Basic stagecraft Have you always wanted to perform on stage? In this workshop, for beginners, we will show you how to perform to an audience, some of the basic conventions of acting, and portraying a character on stage.
These talks are presented by Laura, our main founder and can also often be supplemented by other members demonstrating, or performing in costume. They also require powerpoint projection to show images and film clips.
Creating Theatre and Film based on local history in South Devon
The 1866 Great Gale of Brixham
The Dark Ages Arthurian landscape of Devon and Cornwall
The process of creating a historical drama for stage or film.
The history of the Knights Templar in southwest England
Cosplay walkabouts Several of our team are heavily interested in cosplay, and appear as very high-grade characters, so, if you would like a selection of impressive characters walking around and giving photo opportunities at your event, do let us know.
Stocks . We have a wonderful set of medieval stocks, which can either be provided for people to soak their friends with a nice bucket of sponges, or we can place a costumed character in the stocks (we may rotate our staff through the day)